21 June 2015

three things that led me to Takarazuka ~ some memories of my past

I have been telling my friends that there were only 2 anime series that made me feel interested in Takarazuka. I was forgetting one thing, not as obvious but even more important.
It happened 5 years ago when I was rewatching 'Samurai X' or 'Rurouni Kenshin'. Already having stable internet connection, unlike the first time I was watching it on TV, I could indulge in watching it with the original sound and check some info in the web whenever I wanted. That's why I could fully appreciate the Japanese art of voice acting and immediately fell in love with Suzukaze Mayo. Her voice was some kind of magic and I couldn't fail to check what kind of person she is. She turned out to be a former Takarazuka Top star, but that time it was nothing but a name to me.
Just a month later I started watching 'Sakura Wars' or 'Sakura Taisen'. I've read that the composer was inspired by the OSK all-female troupe, if I am not mistaken, so it's no wonder the soundtrack is full of josei-kageki-like songs - songs reminding those performed by all-female troupes (and there are quite a few in Japan, which is a topic I will develop in a separate post later).
But this isn't the first time I touched the 'female revue' esthetics. The first time was 'Sailor Moon'. And I'm not speaking of Haruka, the obvious Takarazuka-inspired symbol. I'm speaking of the Three Lights. Yes, Ogata Megumi is great, but the heart of 90s lies in these two songs.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment