23 April 2012

interview translation. Ms Kiriya's Tokyo interview about her retirement

the first thing I should do today, of course!
the original article

The interview of Kiriya Hiromu, retiring after the closing night of Tokyo performance
On April, 22nd, Kiriya Hiromu, the Top Star of Moon Troupe, gave an interview on her retiring after the end of musical 'Edward VIII' and brilliance stage 'Misty Station' in Tokyo Takarazuka Theatre.
Kiriya Hiromu
'We have just successfully finished the performance of 'Edward VIII' and 'Misty Station' in Tokyo Takarazuka Theatre. Full of energy, with happy feelings, we were able to see the curtain fall down after the closing night, and now I am full of gratitude and sense of accomplishment. I thank you all for your cheering that I was honoured to receive.'

Q. If you recall the place called 'Takarazuka', what is it like?
A. The very essence of my life is that I have been doing my best with the feeling that I lived for the stage, and I still cannot realize the fact that I will not stand on that stage anymore starting from tomorrow. 'Takarazuka' is an irreplaceable thing, and I think from now on I will live on never forgetting this feeling, never losing it.

Q. The Farewell show was splendid, wasn't it?
A. We created the show having received a lot of recommendations from Saitou-sensei, so that it would be focused on the performances where I played the leading part, and the others who retire also got highlight scenes. There was a dance in black tailcoats on the Grand Staircase, and I think there were no Farewell shows before which went as far, but I wanted to show the path I have taken, so I was allowed to pack it with many things.
Q. The music which accompanied you descending the Staircase for the address?
A. It was a melody of rockette dance in my debut performance 'Phoenix'. One phrase from it is used in the show 'Misty Station' which has just ended.

Q. How and when did you think over your last address?
A. First, I made an address in the Grand Theatre, which was so close to me even before my enrolment, that was the first part, then I came to Tokyo, but in the everyday life being constantly pressed by the performances, I could not settle my thoughts, so I was thinking from the previous evening till today's morning, and finally decided during the performance itself.

Q. After this day has come to an end, the moment when you clearly realized that it is the retirement?
A. The atmosphere of the audience was quite different from before, so I was feeling today was the closing night, but I concentrated on the performance without being washed away by different feelings, and I acted aiming not to be overly worried by the fact of retiring.

Q. When will you have the actual feeling of retiring?
A. From those who already retired I was honoured to hear that it takes approximately one busy month to settle everything and get prepared to the new life, but in two or three months I will probably start feeling lonely.

Q. Any words you would like to convey to the juniors who are to meet the 100 anniversary of Takarazuka Revue in two years?
A. I have arrived on this day having lived with the belief that there is no other talent than to do your best, with the feeling that doing your best is never in vain, so I want you to be proud that you are in such a wonderful place where you can do your best, I want you to do your best in challenging yourselves to try all the chances for yourselves.

_____
translator's remarks
  1.  almost cried at the last words, the address to the young generations...
  2. *upd 27.04* 
changed 'rocket' to 'rockette'. I thought the dance to be a kind of motive of a rocket, as the revue 'Phoenix' uses the theme of other planets and spaceships etc. having read the description I see there were no rocket dances, likely ロケット means rockette, however I have never met any mentioning of rockettes in the interviews of siennes so far, therefore - hard for me to say anything... >___< please forgive my inexperience

No comments:

Post a Comment