27 May 2012

synesthetic perception. experience of mine ~ part 1. introduction, alphabets

the reason for me to start researching this issue was that I read the Wikipedia article about synesthesia by chance
yesterday our philosophy professor told us to pick up any question we like and to be ready to tell her about it next week on the last lesson. first, I thought about 'the problem of war and peace', then I decided to speak about art in general. however, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and both prepare a report and know better what I am interested in
while reading about synesthetic perception, I got acquainted with the types of it. and I felt a bit left out, because I seemed to have only the most primitive ones, or at least widespread - links between digits or letters and colours, and also sensation of colour and movements in music. these seem to be just plain ones. however, I started thinking about my experience of sensing something else - and I discovered some more, so that now I can name really different types of my associations that came up to my mind

let me start with letters
there are a lot of books for children that have alphabet written in different manners. my own alphabet I have in my mind has its own structure, influenced by the most simple way of presenting alphabet - lines

the English version is divided in accordance with a very famous song
A B C D E F G 
H I J K L M N O P 
Q R S T U V W X Y Z
at first I thought of colouring every letter I put here, but this seems impossible. the colours available in the browser are just too simple, mine and more complex. to say nothing of the fact my colours may vary a bit. I better explain every of them
A is white, for sure
B is dark, dark, dark blue
C is close to the colour of sand or ochre
D is dark brown
E if yellow closer to orange, than to green
F is violet, the vivid kind
G is dark, dark brown, almost black
H is blue, vivid blue
I is certainly black
J is a doubtful one. either black or saturated green
K is brown-black... yep
L is light blue, maybe with a bit of cyan
M is vivid green
N is blue, simply blue - without indigo or cyan or whatever
O is red. I know a lot of people see it white and A as red - this is surprising for me
P is green, but the darker one
Q is red-brown
R is a complicated question. I feel 'tis closer to black
S is something between indigo and violet
T is brown
U is indigo, this is certain
W is light blue, closer to indigo but not indigo...
X is black, and it has always been
Y is somewhere around the blue and violet, but its tones may vary from light to dark ones
Z is green, perhaps a dark one, darker than other green letters

Russian alphabet is longer and even more complicated
А Б В Г Д Е Ё Ж З
И Й К Л М Н О П Р С
Т У Ф Х Ц Ч Ш Щ Ъ Ы Ь Э Ю Я
А is white again
Б is green
В is blue to violet
Г is light blue and vivid one
Д is dark brown close to black
Е is the same as its English colleague
Ё is magenta
Ж is dark indigo close to violet
З is green, but unlike English Z - light one
И is black
Й is 'light black' - dark grey?
К ia the same as English
Л is light blue, but darker than English L
М is the same as English
Н is blue, the one closer to real blue than cyan
О - surprising, but Russian O can be red, and can be closer to orange
П is dark sand or ochre colour, unlike its English colleague - P
Р is saturated green, not the colour of young grass and not the
nephrite colour, does not match English R, eh?
С is like English C - sand or ochre
Т it the same as English T
У is blue, which is close to Y but not the same - Russian one does not have any violet tones
Ф is life English F, but lighter, even close to the colour of lilac
Х is the same as X in English
Ц is green, perhaps a vivid one
Ч is dark violet or something... hard to say
Ш is dark grey
Щ is dark violet. or light violet. I am not sure
Ъ is black
Ы is also black. but with a bit of brown
Ь is black as well
Э is orange!
Ю has the colour which is difficult to explain in English. to translate it literally, it would be lilac. but 'tis not. 'tis something in tne middle of violet and magenta, and a very saturated one
Я is rose or pink. somehow, English alphabet lacks it ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment