10 July 2012

translation. an article about 'The Man from Algiers' and 'Dance Romanesque'

after watching 'Hakushaku to Yousei' I was pretty sure I better keep a distance from everybody - I was afraid I might kill someone. as I am certainly spitting poison. my whole body is intoxicated with sugarish shoujo. 'tis a rare case for me, to feel THIS bad after shoujo. the last time was, perhaps, when I read Saitou Chiho's and Higuri Yuu's works
I needed something to occupy myself with, and at the same time - something soothing. and what can be better than translating another article about Moon Troupe in such a case?

Takarazuka Revue Moon Troupe Performance -  'The Man from Algiers' and 'Dance Romanesque' - first day interview
link
Musical Roman 'The Man from Algiers'
Author: Shibata Yukihiro. Director: Oono Takuji
This is a revival of a play that was first performed in n 1974 with Ootori Ran playing the main role, and performed again in 1983 starring Mine Saori.
It tells us about a young man with ambitions who wants to climb up the road of success so much that he even uses the girls who gave their hearts to him. Youth is only half sparkling, the reverse side of it brings a cruel shadow with it. This performance attracts us to the described man.
Three girls who make their way through a sad destiny. A splendid work that portrays the dramatic lives of young people, burning with hopes.
Show Spectacle 'Dance Romanesque'
Director: Nakamura Satoru
'Romanesque' has a meaning of something like 'with refined taste' and 'passionate'. 'Dance turns a single moment into eternity' - with this theme laid as a basis, the group dancing filled with youthfulness and liveliness, dances with stories, composed of dances of different styles, this show is overflown with passion and energetic movement.

Report
On September 16th, 2011, an opening day interview was held.
Kiriya Hiromu
I am grateful you all gathered here on such a hot day.
As for Moon Troupe, though we have been delivering happy ending stories for a long time, now we offer a very tragic story, but this play is overflown with Shibata Yukihiro's (author) roman, and the show will be refreshing and interesting, so the performance will be a characteristic Takarazuka double feature. We will do our best in delivering it to you until October 16th, so we would like to count on your support.
Aono Yuki
The play will be a tragedy, and the show will be enjoyable. With the present power of Moon Troupe we will put all our might into the performance, so we would like to count on your support.


The impression of members of Moon Troupe energetically dancing from the very beginning of 'The Man from Algiers' to the very end of 'Dance Romanesque' is very strong, but isn't there some scene that you particularly like?

Kiriya Hiromu
The opening of 'The Man from Algiers' is the first modern thing in a long time for Moon Troupe, so we were wearing suits and dresses that are easy to move in, and this is a thing I have done many times in my underclassman era, but this time I play a character who is a glittering with ambition carnivorous man (the words may sound a bit old... *laughs*), which is the first time in a while, and I particularly like the dance in the prologue of the play.

Aono Yuki
There is a very adult-like dance in the show I am honoured to dance, where I wear a white dress with spangles, and since this is the first duet dance with such a feeling, though it is a challenge, I will do my best to cope with it.

Kiriya Hiromu
And there are also different kinds of wigs.

Aono Yuki
I use four kinds of them.


What are the interesting points of the musical in your opinion?

Kiriya Hiromu
The show starts in a very energetic way, with high tension, and then a lot of scenes follow which have a story in them, but I hope the audience will have a feeling of satisfaction after a scene of Notre Dame de Paris, as if they had seen all the acts, and I will be glad if they feel the drama. Though in a show it is always necessary to deliver the dances and the songs with energy, this time we enter the fourth piece, and I hope we can deliver every single scene with its deep contents.

Aono Yuki
In the musical ms Kiriya plays a man overflown with ambitions and all, but there are 3 girls who are involved with him, so the interesting point is that he is such an attractive man...

Kiriya Hiromu
A concealed pressure? (laugs)

Aono Yuki
No, not like that (laughs), just the male roles are greatly portrayed. Also, there is a difference between the scenes in Algiers and in Paris, so I think the audience will be able to feel the image of those days.
_____
notes
  1. I have no idea what is meant by 4作目 which I translated as 'the fourth piece'. really, who 'we' and what is the fourth? I might be stupid but I am at a loss...
  2. I want a video of this. guess I have something to occupy myself with from now on... searching for interview videos... MB 'tis in some of the cafe breaks? or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment