22 August 2012

my humble opinion on 'Ikoku Meiro no Croisee' manga

please beware of spoilers
raws from rawscans.com

plot and characters
reading manga after watching an anime seems the right thing to me. anime has more instruments to capture your attention and create the necessary atmosphere, is it not so? moreover, the anime version was pretty close to the original in terms of general impression
on the other hand, reading a manga like 'Ikoku' is never boring, even if you know the plot already. some events are different, some are more detailed, some have other order than that in the anime. now that I read up to the 7th chapter of the manga I can say for sure that the anime was truly well balanced, and the anime ending is perfect for the anime, though the manga chapters differ significantly. however, this is the case when there is nothing bad in the fact that there is a difference between the original source and the adaptation. quite opposite, the anime highlighted the important moments of the manga and became a real set of everyday stories, exactly what is necessary for such a work. manga, in its turn, has its own pace, pretty different but not less fascinating
the anime series show the events happening in the manga in chapters 1-7 (to say nothing of the episodes created purely for the anime), so the last one, partie 8, was completely unknown to me. 'tis only for the better, as the last peaceful elements of the storyline vanish here. methinks, they wouldn't fit into the slow and calming flow of the anime even if somebody had any intention to put them there. the last episode was tense enough and its ending was a perfect ending for the story, but manga ends even more tensely. to say I was shocked and impressed greatly and moved and stared with my eyes wide open on every page would be no exaggeration
I might be wrong but this particular last chapter seems to me an example of a perfect emotional work. 'tis on the verge of being protracted (can I apply this word here?) but manages to escape the fate of those 'epically failed' works where the repetitions of the characters' thoughts are are really unnecessary and the plot seems to freeze. what both Claude and Yune felt, what they were thinking of never made me feel boring, never made me think 'I am tired of this', and moreover - wasn't far-fetched. what I especially liked is that there was no great catastrophe, or war between the colonies in the space, or coup d'etat, or anything. in fact, everything ended without the developments that Claude dreaded. this is the reality - what the main character is terribly afraid of doesn't happen only because he is afraid of it. things can go otherwise regardless of what he/she thinks of it. what the mangaka brilliantly portrayed is what was going on inside their hearts and inside their heads. having a feeling close to primal fear, recalling and revaluing events from the past, changing your attitude towards people and things, events and consequences. mangaka paid attention to smallest details and slightest feelings and remnants of them in memory, and vice versa - those which grew to something greater, both good and bad, both shining moments of happiness and heavy moments of emptiness inside
and doubts
and determination
and fear mixed with disbelief that this is really happening now
and fear of something that cannot be undone once it happens

and missing someone
and feeling lonely and lost
and despair turning into rage
and in the end, having the courage to set free, and having the courage to ask to stay
in my mind, this work is reach in true feelings made so acute that 'tis almost physically painful to read the manga. and the feelings are so deep that there is not even a slightest shadow of doubt whether such people could exist in the real world, or whether what they felt was sincere
after the light entertaining stories in the beginning come the last several chapters with hard mood, but this is not the case that leaves you in despair with no will to live further, but makes you feel really light. at least I did, because I see characters able to have a deep profound feeling, I see them struggle and survive in the battle with themselves, I see them learning how to live in this world, and I feel envious because they have each other. and in the end, I see a mangaka who created them. this world is not hopeless yet, is it?

graphics
flawless. cute and nice and detailed and without rookie awkwardness or any proportion mistakes. incredibly enjoyable. seems my vocabulary of words of praise reached its limits...

conclusion
I cried, oh how I cried. I cried my eyes out with both sad and happy moments of the characters. I cried every chapter, only a bit here and a lot there
after I read manga like this I feel almost ashamed of the fact that I could ever read a manga only to find a romance there

No comments:

Post a Comment