25 September 2012

funny pic ~ progress. or absence of it...

this started with me reading a post of an acquaintance of mine in vk.com 
its meaning is something like 'don't give up after a few poor sketches!' and provides several pics from pixiv artists who put their works made during the last 10 years to show their progress
'twas really interesting to look at those. many artists made a huge leap on their 4th - 6th year and developed their style further finally becoming really unique and recognizable
I told my friend about it and we decided to make same things with our works to have some laugh. U's comment to my question was great 
- did you finish it?
- yeah
- how is it?
- not funny. if I can laugh, then it would be a laugh of grief
- how can you say this? we don't need any reason to have fun, remember?
- oh, indeed...
I wanted to contribute to our fun a bit so I also made this. since I had no tablet until I was 13 the earliest images are dated 2005
now that I look at this, 'tis really laughable... well you know, I do believe that there is the same phenomenon of big progress made after 3 years of attempting to draw - 2008 shows a drastic change in outline, colouring and general style. BUT. here the resemblance with pixiv artists ends, unfortunately
so, a brief explanation of the (dark) humour in it
2005 - first attempts at Photoshop. each pic made in several minutes
late 2006 - PS abandoned for Corel Painter which I am still in love with
2008 - style change I spoke of (I mean, I chose my direction to move on and left behind everything else)
2009 - change of colouring brush. yes, this is important for me!
2010 - discovering that the tablet pen reacting to pressure is actually a GOOD thing. change of outline brush caused by the sudden enlightening. twice. change of colouring brush. again
2011 - stupor. stagnation. these 2 pics are all I made in 2011
second half of 2012 - started to draw after a long 'hiatus'. made one pic and realised I want to change the style again. the missing pic will soon be there, probably a bit surprising - even for me
statistics is also funny. I wondered how many pics out of what I've done I can be really proud of. I counted four. and I am currently making the 75th pic in CP, plus there were a few done in PS, which is equal to almost a hundred. well, to say nothing of numerous (I believe, thousands of) sketches and small pictures I tried to draw in my notebooks and just any sheet of paper I had at hand...
this was worthy of making. I really laughed at the result

No comments:

Post a Comment