22 December 2012

my humble opinion on 'Kaichou wa Maid-sama' manga ~ one of a kind

I have already written a long post about KwMs manga, but I erased it. 'twas no longer necessary to describe all the aspects and do a comprehensive analysis. I better simply name particular points I like
  • humour
a lot of shoujo mangas are completely bereaved of it. and that can be either good or bad. serious shoujo verging on drama are also necessary in this world, I believe. and still prefer the ones with humour
this is not the case when the story is deliberately, artificially made humorous. Fujiwara-sensei seems to have a natural aptitude to making everything fun. how did she think up the 3 idiots thing? why did she create Yukimura as a character constantly seen to be 'just a little too womanlike'?
not only characters and their behaviour is funny, but also the author's manner of speaking. do you read author's comments within the chapters and in 'closing time'? 'tis a bit difficult to understand handwritten Japanese to me, but I force myself to do it and sometimes receive a huge amount of pleasure as a feedback
once Fujiwara-sensei was asked 'did someone think up the like 'Usui you perverted alien' for you?' and she says - 'I thought it up myself. why?' with that 'why' closer to 'you have any objections/complaints/doubts?'
next time when asked 'who writes the characters' profile?' she answers 'I write them myself. sometimes I write with my left hand'
she does not even forget to use the fact that KwMs is published in 'LaLa' magazine
and I have seen an arrow used in the text for the first time
I wonder if I am the only one who is enjoying this kind of humour...?
  • characters' depth
how many layers of characters are there usually in a manga? the main character is of course in the middle of attention, his close friends/family/lover(s?) are also described in detail. sometimes family and friends are a bit more distant and seem to be less important. classmates, fellows, friends of friends, casually encountered people are left behind. what we see in KwMs is thorough development of all the possible sides. vice-president and his sister, delinquent from the former school of Shirokawa, 2 guys who hit Miyabigaoka guys - they all have personalities. was I blind before or KwMs is really deep in terms of character development?
moreover, many of them deserve my respect. this is a rare thing which I remember happening only in case I was reading shounens like RuroKen or Letter Bee
  • main couple
I wonder if I am wrong in thinking that popularity of shoujo as a genre is based on the fact that it presents male characters as guys whom the female audience wants to have for themselves, and female characters are portrayed the way that the readers can identify with themselves? in other words, reading shoujo manga makes girls feel as if they were inside the story
when I was younger we had a special kind of entertainment with my friends who watched anime. we made lists of our 'husbands' - bishies whom we liked. my list was perhaps the longest, but the principle was simple - he's cool? then he's in the list. if this entertainment survived until last year there's no doubt Usui would be in it
the older I grew the more I understand that not all of my 'husbands' were 'my type'. coolness is ok but should not there be something else?
from the very beginning I knew Usui was not my type. and I knew Misaki was not me. the more I read the manga the more I love these characters, but I am far from them. therefore, KwMs is not a story to replace my own reality with. 'tis a story about people whom I like and whom I wish all the best as if they were my acquaintances
  • just momentary images
I must not lie that romance has nothing to do with me reading this manga, it would be absurd. however my favourite moments in the manga are not exactly the 'romantic ones'. KwMs fans like to discuss which of the kisses they like best. I am out of this conversation. since there are too many I better post them separately huh?
  • mood-maker and lifesaver
December, the last month of the semester. this time - the last month of the last semester, too. if not for KwMs I would be completely exhausted and broken and sad. thanks to it, I am alive. this is true. Fujiwara-sensei is a soul-reviver

graphics
the manga graphics look a bit strange for a shoujo. it has a little of a feeling that this is not a manga by female mangaka. of course I like ephemeral styles of Saitou Chiho, or Takeuchi Naoko, but a manga with graphics less shoujo-like is not worse in any sense. I adore its simplicity and its strength, and I admit its influence on me. the only frustrating thing is that Fujiwara-sensei, as some other mangakas, tends to simplify her style. Watsuki-sensei ended up with too simple lines that the fans were dissatisfied with. Fujiwara-sensei is unfortunately also moving that direction

conclusion
to hell with conclusions. I do not want to write any when it comes to KwMs

No comments:

Post a Comment