21 February 2013

'Nishi no Yoki Majo' manga ~ let there be strong, normal romance!

'let there be strong, normal romance!' I cried in joy, after reading a 5-page long scene which in the anime took only 15 seconds or something like that. I mean, such 'normal' romance should be imposed on every shoujo manga and made obligatory, haha

story and characters
'Nishi no Yoki Majo' anime was good. manga was even better. it highlighted the most important moments, erased the unnecessary ones, prolonged those which supposed to last longer and made those which were supposed to be lighter really light
I can open the part with 'that very romantic moment' every day and stare at my favourite page for several minutes. however, while in the anime there were several really 'sweet' moments, in manga 'that one' stays probably the only one. the other romantic moments were non_sweet. by 'sweet' I mean moments which are obviously done for the purpose of pleasantly surprising the female reader. 'Nishi no Yoki Majo' anime was full of sweet moments which were not overly sweet but sweet nevertheless. 'Nishi no Yoki Majo' manga was full of romantic moments that were, however, more dictated by the story development itself, less explicit in terms of what exactly was portrayed (angles, frequency of capturing, number of frames etc.), and in terms of characters' lines
among the thousands of effeminate male characters Roux is one of the few - if not the only one - I like. despite his sweet girlish look (you can see him cross-dressing below) he was not your usual 'I am cute and look like a child so love me everyone but beware I am not as innocent as you may think' boy. haha, do not be mislead by the picture I provide. his image in the last chapter was something completely different! ^__^
another pleasant surprise was the last volume where a lot of secrets were uncovered and the special one which covers the events not depicted in the main flow. I liked how the author clearly explained the pre-history of the world the characters live in, and how she linked it to the modern world we live in, giving the story a rather 'green', ecological feel

graphics
you can notice easily how the artist's style was developing with every volume. this is perhaps the case where the last pictures are different from those in the beginning, but not worse. and that is wonderful
in some parts I was feeling the graphics was a bit inclining towards CLAMP-ish style, but it was not some sort of copy but a similar feeling, nothing else

conclusion
I have yet to read the ranobe - if I ever find them, but surely 'Nishi no Yoki Majo' manga has become an honourable member of my 'Top' list. one of the best manga I have ever read

p. s.
Why do I recall Ursula Le Guin?

No comments:

Post a Comment