18 March 2013

'Monsters' dorama ~ everything is relative

it started on a cloudy day in Tokyo when I was returning from Kiriya-sama's First Concert in Aoyama Theatre. a tall building on the other side of the road had a huge banner with Yamasisa (see p. s.) which was a fact worthy of mentioning to my friends so I took a picture of it. since then I had the intention to watch it. the description was promising, too

plot and characters
actually I was sure this dorama must be based on some work, some ranobe, for example. to my surprise, it turned out 'tis not. I mean, the plot was complicated enough and interesting, though not a masterpiece of the genre due to many details holding onto each other on a hair
one must understand, however, that the plot is not the most important thing when we have Yamapi and Katori-san with their respective kinds of charisma
the very first several minutes fully expose the character of the future episodes, the kind of relationship that will exist between the two, their manners, their roles, and the fact that 'Monsters' is a splendid typical Japanese comedy - if you know what to laugh at, you will be able to laugh a lot
so I watched a splendid typical Japanese comedy. or not
something is wrong in this description that I made after watching the beginning..... oh. this is not entirely a comedy, huh?
I spotted this in the very first episode and gradually became more and more sure I was not wrong. the brilliant, talented detective Hiratsuka who was always able to solve the difficult cases and find the true criminal, was always... smiling. always pleased with how he dealt with the case. he did not look really like an angry defender of justice who wants to find the guilty and look him in the face, or a serious career policeman to whom solving a case would bring promotion or higher salary, he was not even an indifferent genius to whom the very process of racking his brains in order to find the truth was a need. he was smiling while explaining the criminals how the crime was really conducted. was it a genuine smile? was it his mannerism?

music
I found the sounds accompanying the episodes actually a bit annoying, but in general the music was pretty good for a dorama. theme song performed by the two lead actors called 'Monsters' too was actually written by them as well. though in the end 'tis nothing more than one more Jpop song which did not go far from SMAP and NEWS and particularly Yamapi's style

visual aspect
and I liked the decorative elements too. I felt like there was some style in it...

conclusion

there was one very important thing in this dorama. and for some reason I cannot explain well it did not look like a mere director's trick to me. I liked a lot the idea expressed by Saionji, who in the end became a detective himself and got everything he would want - a job, a stable position and salary, a wife...

この世に光と闇があるように人は善と悪とを分けたがる。だから人は悪を裁くシステムをつくった。だが裁かれる者だけが果たして悪なのか。
犯人の心を無情に揺さぶり窮地に追い込む平塚さんは、そしてそれを傍観していた僕は一体何者なのだろうか。
'Like light and shadow exist in this world, people want to separate everything into the good and the evil. That is why people created a system to judge the evil. I wonder, though... Are the evil only those who are judged?
Mr. Hiratsuka, who was heartlessly shaking the criminals' hearts and driving them into a corner, and I, who was simply watching this from aside... What exactly are we?'

p. s.
'yamasisa' is how we call one of our favourite actors, honourable mr. Yamashita, due to a very funny slip of the tongue of my friend +Марина Калугина - I only feel sorry for those whose languages do not allow to create affectionate diminutive word forms like we do in Russian, because 'yamasisa' gradually developed into something absolutely untranslatable... if I ever tried to render, would it be something like 'yamasissy'? o___O

No comments:

Post a Comment