24 April 2015

'The Great Gatsby' ~ I won't write 'will you still love me' in the title, ok?

Probably the second time (ever?) I like a realistic story with a not-so-good ending, to leave my post without spoilers.

story and characters
Like I said, I'm not a fan of stories about how harsh the reality is. I'm a fan of fantastic stories of how harsh the reality is. Or fantastic stories about how great it is to live. Or not fantastic, but stories about how great it is to live.
And still 'Gatsby' is a story that does not leave that terrible aftertaste of 'I don't want such stories to exist' or 'make me unsee it'. I guess the main reason is that the story was extremely logical and there were no 'odd' details, nothing unnecessary, no fillers that didn't affect the finale.
However, it does not mean I liked it very much. It's not that I felt any respect to Gatsby himself, because he's a typical 'American dream', or to Daisy, who's just a 'pretty woman', or Nick, who's just an ordinary man overly impressed with one neighbour because he wasn't ordinary. And as a love story, I prefer different kinds of stories.
And what I didn't like at all was the fact that though separate scenes were good, the general narration was not smooth enough and didn't create an impression of a whole movie. Looked like the people responsible for gluing everything together had no time.
And by the way... it does not make a movie 'true to the original' if you simply use quotations from the book. Just in case you wondered.

acting
My Mom warned me that DiCaprio is a good actor. So I was prepared. I mean, I did think of him as of some handsome guy who knows he's handsome and there's nothing more to it. Until my Mom told me he's actually good. And I had no reason to distrust her perfect sense.
So I was prepared... but I wasn't ready. So I was surprised. Or at least, I was pleased to see it's true. That's a rare gem - a person who can express emotions with something other than repeating words written in the script.
I think I'd also note Elizabeth Debicki, who turned out to be much younger than I thought, but who was like a moving poster from twenties.
Others didn't impress me very much.

music
Since I knew how the creators treated the epoch, I wasn't surprised to see the party dancing to some club music, or to hear 'Crazy in love' turned into a jazz song. And I have to say I'm not against such experiments.
By the way, I didn't understand what 'Will you still love me' has to do with 'Gatsby'. I mean, the lyrics have nothing in common with the story. The song is beautiful, but it's just that I'm not sure in this choice.

visual
Many people are dissatisfied with costumes, interiors and exteriors in the movie. I'll disagree. It's not a classical historical film. It's an experiment that wants to show the world as seen by the director, not how it really was. I guess the idea of the creators reached my mind, and I appreciate that they conveyed their own view to me.

conclusion
The movie is very good. From what I see, people who didn't like it either complain about the story which was written by Fitzgerald, not screenplay writers, or didn't understand the vivid atmosphere which was created on purpose, and not to make fun of the original.
Nevertheless, I guess I'll read the original. I mean, it's embarrassing to say I only know Fitzgerald by movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment