25 October 2015

'The Pickwick Papers' ~ two whole years of reading

My friend said, Dickens is long-winded. I cannot object. In fact, he's so long-winded that it took me some two years to finish reading. On the other hand, I never regretted it. Unlike what I usually do - start the book and never cease until I read it to the end - I let myself make breaks and read something else, then return back to Pickwick.

Story and characters
And there is one solid reason for that: Pickwick is a bit tiring, but it's never boring. Part of this may be explained by the fact that I cannot imagine a more wonderful encyclopedia of British history of 19th century, the other part is Dickens's sense of humour, which influenced the flow of the story, character design and his manner of narration.

Language
I think if I try to count all quotations that made me laugh out loud, they'll make up a good compilation. However, language is what made me so tired after reading, too many difficult words, but more importantly, to many sentenced written in a manner that requires serious thinking over until you manage to get the grasp of what happened.

Conclusion
Still, why I loved the book so much is that, all the characters are so loveable, and the happy end is so happy, that this book granted me with that what I consider the biggest joy of reading: silent satisfaction, when you just sit down with a book, read it, and calmness fills your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment