21 July 2017

Our hot trip to Japan 2017. Day 10, part 1

14.45, Edo Tokyo open air architectural museum
Just in case you were wondering - and I was - they had it all a hundred years ago. A watercloset with shower, toilet, cooling fans to help you in the summer sultry air, to say nothing of big nice rooms with wooden carvings and tatami or walls painted in quiet colours. Yes, I wouldn't change the modern comfort for those times forever, but if people asked me where and when I would try to travel in time, I think I'd choose a family of entrepreneurs of Meiji or Showa era, or a house of one of the first diplomats in the country.
I think this space, Edo Tokyo open air architectural museum, is the biggest gain I had through buying Grutto pass. A park of such a scale that it is beyond belief that the ticket would only be 400 yen if we didn't have Grutto.

A Japanese visitor asked me whether I could read the sign above. I couldn't see the sign itself so he thougt I couldn't read it and explained to me that one part of this public bath is for men and the other for women. As if I doubted...



No comments:

Post a Comment