06 August 2017

IMHO. 'BORDER' and 'CRISIS'

Both have Oguri Shun as the leading actor, the reason for me to watch these doramas. Of course I soon learned that both are based on novels by Kazuki Kaneshiro. And these are not the only common points.

music
I must confess, the best thing in 'Border' is MWAM's 'Evil Falls', and in 'Crisis' - 'I need your love'. Which is, at the same time, the best song in the album of Beverly, whose other songs are just your average soul ballads and single-use r'n'b tunes.
However, the difference is that 'Crisis' can boast Hiroyuki Sawano as one of the contributing composers, which surprised me, since I've never ever seen a dorama with a soundtrack I'd listen to even after watching, at least more than a couple of times. Instrumental theme which can be heard in every important moment is impressive (and for some reason I'm sure Origa's vocal is used in it), and the only vocal track by Yosh is really cool.

story and characters
He sometimes didn't even bother to change the characters' names, that writer, and corrupted politicians, high ranking officials covering the crimes of their children and secrets withing police itself continue to arise before our eyes. I think I cannot even distinguish now which case was in which dorama out of these two. The only difference, though, is that I enjoyed supporting characters more in 'Border', like the partner - a plain but straight and loyal man, and the two unusual hackers in black, and 'Jack of all trades' employed by the main character - they had that spice necessary for a character to grab attention. In 'Crisis', it seems, all those spices were gathered and distributed among the main characters rather than supporting, and that made them more likeable and interesting to follow.

acting
For some reason I guess nobody would really watch dramas like this for the sake of acting, hey? I could say they both are tolerable, though there wasn't much to act. Even tense scenes did not impress me much, but didn't disappoint either.
And I must especially praise the combat scenes. All actors who participated in fighting apparently trained a lot and did a good job, and the fight director was a good one. This is a trend I sometimes notice in Japanese movies, did they order a fight director from abroad and use him in turns for every new movie?

conclusion
There is only one more difference to mention. 'Border' was extremely green. Yes, green. Most scenes take part in half-darkness, and most of the screen is lit with weak green. It really gets on your nerves. If you told me to choose only one dorama to watch, it would be 'Crisis' - only for the fact that lighting of most places filmed is natural.
Oh, but there is one more common point to mention, too. Both doramas end in a way that makes it certain there is more to come. Whether it will come or not is for us to wait and see (and I'm not sure, since 'Crisis' is very new, and season 2 of 'Border' was announced for this year but even though it's August, I haven't yet heard of an exact date of airing).

No comments:

Post a Comment