29 August 2017

IMHO. 'Mary and the witch's flower'

I was just wondering if this is the future of anime. Just a couple of weeks after watching, I come across an article about the new generation of anime directors. How are they new if they are already in their pension age? Not to say they are too old for the industry, I am mostly worried not about them, but about who will come next.
I've heard Miyazaki approved of this work. And I want to believe it's true, because it's legit. After all, they've packed it with everything necessary: a clumsy girl and her protective friend plus a black cat who get into trouble, find courage to fight bubbly monsters, and a strong environmental context, protesting against human intervention into the affairs of Mother Nature.
Who was my favourite among them? Oh the cat broom keeper of course.
And all the adventures take place inside a fantasy world with surrealistic sculptures in the garden outside of the college of magic.
And a cosy small wooden house on a lonely island, which belongs to another witch. And cosy small houses must stand on lonely islands surrounded by water, if you ask me.
The voice actors did their job well, too, even though I don't know a single actor in the list except for Yuki Amami.
And all would be good if not for the song of Sekai no Owari in the end. I mean, magic in my mind is supposed to last till the very last moment. Izumi Inoue, Cecile Corbel and of course Joe Hisaishi coped well with this task, but this time I was not as happy with the choice of music.
On one hand, I didn't like such song as ending themes. On the other hand, if we are to put up with maitres leaving the stage, I guess this is not as bad as it could be. If I can get no more Miyazaki and Hisaishi, maybe I can get along with Yonebayashi, even if it means some Sekai no Owari. Meaning 'the end of the world', by the way. Prophetic, in a sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment