23 August 2018

IMHO. 'Suki tte ii na yo' ~ 18 volumes are not the same every time

I think I know several shoujo manga approximately 18 volumes long, sometimes a bit shorter, like 15, or a bit more than 20. I think I understand to some extent what the story would be like with such a length. And I know what one can make out of such manga creating a 13-episode or a 26-episode tv anime series.
In fact, the amount of situations to describe in every ark is not very big.
First, they get to know each other under awkward circumstances. After that, or parallel to that, the heroine starts making new friends.
Then a rival appears on her side. Then the heroine does something that changes the rival to a friend, and the former rival becomes such a supporter that she would even oppose our hero.
Then, a rival appears on his side. He also should be a good guy essentially and even though he proclaims his love to be sincere, he officially recognises the pair and this threat also vanishes.
Since the first female rival switched sides so quickly, there should be another female rival, but even she eventually starts crying and admits her faults and becomes if not a new friends than at least something bordering on a nice person.
The heroine starts doubting the relationship every now and then, but her new friends support her and persuade her to make some new step, which she does, consciously.
She also experiences moments when the problem lies not in the rivals but in herself.
The list of possible settings also includes an amusement park, a summer festival, a hot spring resort, school trip, going to his place, going to her place and some others.
Especially touching moments are conveyed through showing objects unrelated to the conversation. Every romantic dialogue happens as a flow of sounds put upon a
or
or
I've heard that Natsume Soseki translated a character in a book in English saying 'I love you' into Japanese as 'tonight the moon is beautiful'. Well, 'Suki tte' went even further and made it an empty street, a plane trail in the sky and a toy spade in a sandbox.
It is the more disappointing considering that the beginning of the series was fast-paced and promising. Instead, even though I saw a wonderful passionate confession as early as episode 2, every new dialogue was duller than the previous, and every new character set on the path of righteousness in a pretty predictable fashion.
I must admit there was some attempt to show the inner feelings of the characters who feel insecure
and hurt each other unintentionally, even though they meant the opposite
but all of these were done in the same fast way, leaving no time for me to sympathise and feel it myself.
There was also an attempt to introduce some comedy via blunt comments
 misunderstandings
 and hyperboles
but they weren't enough. Towards the end, there were more calm, nothing-special-is-happening-and-thats-why-its-so-special moments, than the original passion or humour.
There were some recognisable melodies in the background, but I did not enjoy them particularly. The mild opening theme by Ritsuko Okazaki reminded me of Yui Makino's songs for 'Aria', except that 'Aria' could be proud of the unique style it had, and this one cannot. The ending by Suneohairwas probably at least interesting. It possessed some quality and might be usable as a background for everyday chores or make-up time.
The art was sometimes fine
and sometimes obviously lazy (have you ever seen a person speak with such a mouth as Aiko, in pink blouse?)
Here is the most important point: I thought there would be 23 episodes, but after I watched the 13th one I realised I'd been mistaken and the remaining 10 are only a one-minute shorts. This is when my score for 'Suki tte' immediately dropped.
I realised I was waiting for something... For something to happen. I was waiting all this time, all these 13 episodes, but I got nothing rewarding in the end, and moreover, even if there were more episodes, there would be nothing new to wait for, and even if I started reading the manga, there would be nothing really worth reading so much for.
I think I know shoujo manga 18 volumes long, out of which good directors and anime studios make decent anime series. I think I know how they can be filled with characters to love and stories to follow. Unfortunately, even really good seiyuus couldn't save 'Suki tte' from being only average.
At least I don't have to fear that I need to read 18 volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment