29 December 2011

interview translation! - Oozora-sama retiring

The Top Star of the Cosmos Troupe Oozora Yuuhi - press-conference concerning retirement



December, 27th (Tuesday), Cosmos Troupe Top Star Oozora Yuuhi gave an interview concerning the announcement of her retirement after the musical 'Brilliant Days' and grand show 'Climax ~Cry-Max~' (Takarazuka Grand Theatre: from April, 13th, till May, 14th; Tokyo Takarazuka Theater: from June, 1st, till July, 1st, 2012).

Kobayashi Kouichi (the board chairman of Takarazuka Revue)
'The Cosmos Troupe Top Star Oozora Yuuhi decided to graduate from Takarazuka on July, 1st, next year on the final day of the performance in Tokyo Takarazuka Theatre. Before becoming the Top, she experienced different things, gained the true strength, speaking of her, she became a really great male-role player, and as the Top Star of the Cosmos Troupe she contributed to Takarazuka becoming the way it is now, she leads the theatre. Among the 5 troupes' Top Stars she is the only one to have experienced the old performances of Takarazuka, and she is graduating now, so I feel a bit lonely, but until she graduates, as Oozora Yuuhi, I pray you to support her so that she shines more and more'

Oozora Yuuhi
'I shall graduate July, 1st, next year. I would like to thank everybody for having been supporting me for a long time. Until the last day I want to live on the stage as Oozora Yuuhi, as a male-role player, so I hope for your further support'

The reason of the decision to retire?
'After I received the honour to play the leading part, I was bestowed with spending really productive days, but during 'Classico Italiano', 'NICE GUY!!' the stage performer Oozora Yuuhi, a male-role player, seemed to be interesting, I felt the definite feedback, that I was acknowledged, so I thought I can graduate'
A performance or a role that is memorable?
'After I began to play the leading part, all of the roles were memorable. Apart from them, when I was bestowed with the role of Kuraoka Ginshirou from 'Kamata March' ('Gin-chan's Love') as my first challenge, I think the thing I laid my hands on was a big one'
Considering the performance before the retirement
'The performance which I graduate with, is a debut performance (for the 98th class), and the 'Brilliant Days' is a debut of mrs Harada, so I think it will become a very bright and dramatic performance, and as I remember of my own initial intention, I think it would be good to bring to a finish my last performance' 
A message to colleagues
'I was honoured with opportunity to enjoy the world called Takarazuka, the world called male-role playing, and it seems to me, I was only savouring it. The time is different for everyone, but the time spent in Takarazuka was limited, and I think, the fact I put everything in that time will become the supplies of my life. I want you to put all your energy into what you face and live a productive time'
A message to the fans
'You have always, always kindly watched over the clumsy me, and my gratitude cannot be expressed with words. When I struggle for the last time, I think it is my fans who pushed me in the back to playing the leading part. That I am here doing this is also due to my fans, and I thank them with all my heart. I want to receive the honour of being enjoyed by everyone as male-role player, Oozora Yuuhi until the 1st of July, so I pray you to honour me with your support until the end'
_____
translator's notes
  1. I do feel 'tis important to translate not only meaning, but also the style used by siennas. they are always polite, overly polite, pronoucing the unwieldy phrases as if the process is automatic. I personally do adore this feature of theirs, and if you do not, that is absolutely not my problem, as I am strict about myself and I am perfectly sure my kind of translation doth not affect the meaning as well
  2. Oozora-sama named mrs Harada as 'Harada-sensei' (of course, she's a director), and as I am not going to leave the suffixes (and BTW I am against 'Gin-chan's love' as the English translation) in translations, any ideas of how to replace the 'sensei' suffix would be appreciated
  3. yes I am controversial myself, as I do use suffixes, but that's a habit of mine that cannot be erased, and I consider it tolerable while speaking myself, not translating

No comments:

Post a Comment