21 June 2012

my humble opinion on... many things

thing #1
new Berserk
I was a small kid when I watched the TV series of 'Berserk'. and I loved it. yep, the me, who was some 15 (?) years old loved it very much
I should admit, the greatest object of my fascination was Griffit, who was obviously a bad guy - yep, he was... or... was he? no, for me, who was 15 (or not?) years old, Griffit WAS a bad guy. still I felt a great deal of interest and... pity? towards him
the other object of my fascination was Kaska. strong and proud women have always been one my favourite types of heroines
were I ignoring everything else? no way. I loved everything else as well. I loved that work for the very fact that it portrayed everything so that it stabbed me in the very heart, even things I disliked - violence, human weaknesses, dramatic stories
there was only one thing I ignored - the music by Susumu the Great Hirasawa - those times I could not allow myself downloading everything I wanted, and I only listened to several tracks. it turns out, I listened to the main ones that every fan knows - 'Gatts', 'Behelit' and 'Forces' and some others
now I read another studio made a new version of this masterpiece. I know already how much biased I am when it comes to remakes of 90s classic works. BUT. I was not wrong in my prediction. most people who watched it noted that it has less charm than the original TV, less credibility in terms of coherence with the manga, and everything that was changed - graphics, plot developments, seiyuus - did not add any good points to the new 'Berserk'
new approaches to classic artworks are always good. I should not shut my eyes to them! or so I thought
well. there ARE things that should rest in piece. I mean, things that should not be touched and remade - ever, by anyone. 'Rurouni Kenshin' is an example. 'Berserk' became another one

thing #2
Nisemonogatari
one day, when I become a REALLY fluent Japanese language speaker, I WILL sit down to read the whole bunch of '-gatari' ranobe. I will! I know it!
unfortunately, now I cannot. my Japanese is too poor to read them without looking up 90% of words in the dictionary. and when you have to do that, only a VERY interesting work can make you cling to it without dropping
'-gatari' novels are probably not THAT interesting. '-gatari' animes, though, are interesting enough for me to celebrate the fact that 'nisemonogatari' had already been aired in Japan and two more novels are currently in the process of creation
now that I recall watching 'Bakemonogatari', am I such a fan of the series? nope, I am not. I am just happy for the fact that stylish, cool and unique animes are not extinct. though we have no more 'classic' masterpieces like those of my beloved 90s, we can have something like '-gatari' to enjoy. hope the seiyuus, graphics and music are the same in the coming series. hope the coming ones will be the same interesting and strange - enough to keep me watching, even though I had no favourite character to wait for, and could not feel any sympathy towards anyone

thing #3
Sore de mo Sekai ga Mawatte Iru, Hanasaku Iroha and... Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu
though my best source of info about anime is world-art.ru I like myanimelist for providing info which is absent in the Russian service. for example, recommendations
actually, 'recommendations' as phenomenon disappointed me greatly. things like 'similar artists' on Last.fm or JPopSuki hit the bull's eye once in a while, but their general helpfulness is doubtful, to put it mildly. generally, I have either to check out whether the recommendation is really based on something, or to search for additional info to make my request more precise
unlike those websites I mentioned, myanimelist does not give random recommendations - it allows users to write their own, and the most important part of them are the explanations of the recommendations given. those explanations allow to find specific info and understand WHY exactly the person thinks the two animes compared to be alike
this particular feature allowed me to find a few animes which are similar to 'Working!!'. oh, I should say 'Working!!' - while being far from an ideal - impressed me very much, so much that I cannot oust it from my head, and so I embarked on a search for a slice-of-life with a love-story that would remind me of Satou-Yachiyo, main characters of different types like Poplar, Kyouko and Aoi who would create constant turbulence, and beautiful everyday life in Japan
however, I only faced recommendations that emphasized the sides of 'Working!!' I did not pay much attention to - 'comedy', 'hilarious', 'strange people', etc. well, yes, I do like these things, but the setting decided everything, in the end. Mashimaro, or DRRR, or Azumanga will NEVER be in the same line with 'Working!!' - they have another style, another manner and probably - another aim?
some of the recommendations, however, were really relevant. out of them I picked up 'sore de mo sekai ga mawatte iru' which describes a cafe again, and also provides a good company of main characters, and 'Hanasaku Iroha' which impressed me already much with the graphics and interesting plot description
however, these two missed another important point. the only recommendation which highlighted my favourite couple - Satou-Yachiyo - was the one offering... 'Haruhi'. and I was like o___O
I mean, from everything I heard about this piece, there is NO WAY Satou-Yachiyo could resemble the main couple of 'Haruhi'. moreover, knowing how popular 'tis I already felt a kind of despise towards this, perhaps, good anime, so I firmly decided NOT to watch it EVER - so many unpopular things wait for me, huh?
still, if the person who recommended it saw some similar points... there might be... and I will never know if I don't check myself
mama mia... will I end up watching one of the most popular animes ever? noooo 嫌だ!!! T_T

p. s. - somebody, please find me an anime with a couple reminding of Satou-Yachiyo. I would do anything for you.... >____<

No comments:

Post a Comment