19 June 2012

my little thoughts on Takarazuka influences. part 1 - Sailor Moon

almost everybody who is really interested in Takarazuka ends up searching for Takarazuka influences on famous people and other works of art. of course, BSSM is amongst the most mentioned ones
well, not Sailor Moon herself, of course. some people remember Rei being a fan. well, I do not, so let me omit Rei-chan. well, I can only say she does not really look to me like the type who is into it...
well, of course the most obvious influence is Haruka-Michiru couple. my most hated two
haha, yep! I wonder if there is at least one more person in this world who dislikes them as I do. and I am pretty sure this hatred towards Haruka is strange for most Takarazuka fans, because apparently Haruka was created with an otokoyaku image which she maintained successfully - in the eyes of all the fans whose opinion on her I have heard so far
Well, the reasoning is quite simple. For me, otokoyaku image is so precious because of those peculiarities Haruka does not have at all. In my mind she was a cruel person following the principle 'the end justifies the means' which I have never been fond of. Perhaps her 'brutal' image consisting of this behaviour, love for sports and cars and of course - wearing men clothes, was considered to be enough to call her an otokoyaku. This Haruka from anime lacked the major qualities of the real ones - elegance and grace in her look were doubtful, modesty and proper behaviour in society were not her distinction, and purity was completely absent - these I mean, which are enshrined in the TMS motto. And of course she had nothing of what I love so much in my favourite otokoyaku siennes - sense of humour, warmth in eyes and smile, caring attitude, tenderness, and - strangely - individuality. Do not tell me that Haruka's man-like behaviour was her individuality. All otokoyaku are assumed to do this, but the real siennes are different and have their personalities. I am not trying to say Haruka was nothing more than a 'delinquent', but the fact that she was like a man does not make her otokoyaku-like. In other words, otokoyaku requires only certain qualities of a man's image, but she somehow picked up the wrong ones. The possible objection may be that the manga version of Haruka was different. Oh yes, she was. I am in no position to say anything about that image of hers because I did not read it. But! I have at least some considerations. So, the HaruMichi couple is considered to be an example of mature people? Am I right, 16 years old students - mature and emancipated? Well, I know a lot of anime heroines are much younger, but they were not presented by the author as grown up 'fully fledged' women. And Naoko-sensei did make an emphasis on these qualities of them. And BTW Haruka wore skirts in manga and illustrations. Oh, I am sorry, is it wrong to name this a criteria for otokoyaku? It may be, but to me she no longer looked as an otokoyaku when in skirt. Compare her with Maria from 'Sakura Wars' who had her famous black suit consisting of a jacket and a skirt
In the end, this all may be a figment of imagination of mine simply because I disliked Haruka.......?


No comments:

Post a Comment