19 June 2012

my humble opinion on 'Munto' alias 'Sora o Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai'

still I doubt - if when transliterating Japanese words we write 'wa', not 'ha' - then we should write 'o', not 'wo'. then we should write 'oo', not 'ou'. but there IS a difference between these two, because words like 'tooi' are really written with the usual 'o' in Japanese, and we would mess them up. but if we write 'oo' and 'ou' depending on what is written there in the original word, other words should be subject to the same rule. then we should write things like 'ha' and 'he'... but this is ridiculous! I can't! >___<
erm... well... this had nothing to do with the anime itself, I only wonder how we should write the name of this work...

plot and characters
if I were some 12 years old, this could become one of my favourite animes ever. however, I am a but older, and I am 'too experienced' for such things. I mean, I liked the plot, 'twas elaborate, etc. - but it had too little time to be properly explained. not only the time was limited but also wasted - some of the scenes seemed irrelevant, some were simply too slow, so that the impression was a little... blurred
if only there were more time, all the lines could be much more impressive. not only the main one - where the events of the past and some crucial points had to be explained, and some feelings were not very distinctive, but also the side ones - like Suzume-Kazuya, or Ichiko-Takashi in the real world, and characters like Gass, Irita, Leica and others in the Heavens. there was a potential, but 'twas left unused. I DO feel it, because I am experienced. I know what types of characters they belong to, and I know there should be some past or present developments opening their souls and showing their features more. this could be done properly... but 'twas not
on the other hand, main characters looked as if there were no potential in them at all. Yumemi was a walking cliche. Munto was, too. even Ichiko and Suzume impressed me more, revealing the true sense of friendship and love, support and trust
while there was an attempt to fill Yumemi with sorrow because she saw what nobody else could, and Munto with darkness because he lost his parents and was cursed by many, this attempt was not very successful. I saw a good intention which was not implemented because... IDK. because of reasons...
and the last straw is that the TV are not simply a remake of the OVAs - 'tis a copy with improved graphics in some moments, a few short scenes in the middle and 3 episodes in the end that make all the difference. this could be good if I watched OVAs in the past and then decided to watch the TV variant, but when you watch it without stopping - 'tis boring. and the movie is an absolute copy of the last TV episodes, so the meaning of downloading it were the very last seconds in the end where
*SPOILER*
we see that Munto came to Yumemi, finally. this was completely obvious from the words of Ryueri in the end of TV episodes, though. and you know what? I waited for something bigger than simply Munto's silhouette and Yumemi smiling...
*END OF SPOILER*
some say this anime is only for girls to drool over Munto. erm... really? I would not. his character was not expressed enough for me to cherish anything in him, so while he might become THAT type - you know, mysterious handsome guy from another world - he did not... and the element in him I was so looking forward to - his voice - was not very impressive, too...

seiyuus
I should admit that I decided to watch this work for two reasons, and one of them was Ono Daisuke-san whose voice I liked in 'Working!!' - in 'Munto' even he was an epic fail. no, he was good - but was not memorable even for a moment. where is that wonderful ability of Japanese seiyuu to make you shiver or hold your breath because of a single word???
apart from Ono-san, I knew nobody among the original cast from the OVAs, and nobody from the TV cast. and I do not regret this fact very much. well yes, they DID express what was necessary, and they DID create the necessary image of their characters, but there was no prominent or memorable seiyuu among them

music
and the second reason for me to download this anime was the fact that OP theme was 'anemoi' by eufonius. somehow I feel sorry for them - all the songs that are used in animes are the plain ones, the most usual there are among eufonius' works. and the most original ones I love are left aside. as for 'anemoi' - I consider it to be the most original among the plain ones. 'tis the only one in my walkman playlist which belongs to the type I usually skip even when listening for the first time, but at the same time - a bit different. and this bit is enough to distinguish it from the others
the TV ED theme was a song by Ceui. this singer is a strange phenomenon for me. while her voice is of the same type as that of eufonius' Riya, or Rurutia, and her songs are ephemeral enough, something is missing. 'twas ok as the TV ED theme, but 'tis not enough for me to like it as a separate piece. same goes for Ceui's discography - I could listen to her for 2 days or so, then I started to search for something else
the TV background was a typical late 00s - a bit cheap, but OK in general
the OVAs, however, had different music - because of different composer, or because of the fact 'twas created much earlier. the OVA music was even much better. it still belonged to THAT epoch - Golden Age of anime, the 90s - by its general image. 'twas still magic, fascinating, interesting. it deserved my attention

conclusion
certainly, I am growing old. I am too old for this. NOT because this is shoujo, but because I am able to spot all the mistakes the creators made. let me try to cast aside all my previous experiences and see this anime with pure eyes of an amateur
then... WOW!
yes, I did blame it through all the post, but this is due to my negativism. therefore, to redeem, in the conclusion I want to say - this anime is certainly a good one. the main line about friendship, love, support and trust is certainly well done. the graphics is pleasant. the music has the right feeling. the world created is interesting. therefore, I WOULD recommend it to those, who are not as spoilt as me

No comments:

Post a Comment