01 June 2012

Translation. an article about Moon RomiJuri 2012 ~ Yes, again!

the original article

On April 26th there was held a presentation of the upcoming performance 'Romeo and Juliette' which is to start in June in the Grand Theatre. It will become the first performance for Ryuu Masaki as the new Top Star after she succeeded Kiriya Hiromu, who graduated last week. Others who participated in the presentation are the new Top Female Role Player Manaki Reika and Demi Top Star Asumi Rio, and director Koike Shuuichirou.
The work chosen as the first performance is a musical based on the classic masterpiece of Shakespeare, which was first staged in 2001 in France, and became a big hit which can boast an audience of 5 million people all over the world. In Japan, the musical was first performed by Takarazuka Snow Troupe in 2010 and repeated by Star Troupe last year, and beyond Takarazuka there exist versions with Shirota Yuu and Yamazaki Ikusaburou. Koike Shuuichirou, who takes care of the performance, said - 'Right in the middle of the Snow Troupe performance there happened the earthquake catastrophe. The second part of the performance was cancelled, and when it was revived several days after, though some customers could not come because of transport circumstances, there still were a lot of customers who came. I was thinking then if it was right to perform a masterpiece about that romantic sweet love in such time, but there were people who said that quite opposite, exactly because of watching that performance they were able to face the next day, therefore I myself recognized the strength of Takarazuka, and once more recognized the value of existence. I think, it would be good if this performance could bring peace to the hearts of many people and power which would let them feel that what is called love.'
Another topic was the switching of roles of Romeo and Tybalt played by Ryuu and Asumi, who oppose each other tearing Juliette between them. Switching the main role in the first performance of a new Top is an uncommon form, but concerning this fact, director Kobayashi explained his objective - 'After Ryuu became the Top of Moon Troupe, it has become a very young troupe. And in a fresh troupe a lot of possibilities come out. Both Asumi and Manaki, and Ryuu herself, they are growing children, and I thought of polishing the skills of the whole Moon Troupe, so making the leading part a switching role seemed a good measure to me.'
Ryuu Masaki who is to become the new Top Star with this performance made her debut in 2001. On the twelfth year of her Takarazuka activity she took up the position of Top, thus becoming the youngest Top in the five troupes. Her greeting was very clear - 'United with the members of Moon Troupe I want to create an enjoyable performance, so I would like to ask you for your support.' Considering the switching roles she expressed her enthusiasm - 'As a stage performer I am blessed to be able to experience different things. I want to sincerely face it and put all my might into acting.' Manaki and Asumi also shared their respective views  - 'I am full of happiness because I have been granted with the role of Julette in such a masterpiece as 'Romeo and Juliette,' 'I was a fan of the 'Romeo and Juliette' story, so I can realize that I am a happy person to be connected with it by playing two roles in the performance. I will do my best reserving both my stamina and guts.'

4 comments:

  1. Vera, have you seen the very short rehearsal clips?


    Yin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not yet! currently busy with my semester papers, exams, etc. so while I have time to write short posts, I make myself restrain from watching vids like this because I will end up willing to make a script or translate an article (I have found already the one about their meeting with western actors) and it will take me a lot of time, for sure. instead, next week when I am done with studying, wait for some new translations! ^.^
      p. s. you can call me by nickname, Eine, 'cause real name sounds kind of formal... ^^`

      Delete
  2. Ahahaha! That is so true! Takarazuka is just so addictive, isn't it? You find new clips and you get excited :)
    There are a couple of really short clips on Tudou, but they are really short.

    Hi Eine :)


    Yin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not think that Takarazuka can be addictive in terms of translating related stuff, though! ^.^

      Delete