18 September 2012

my humble opinion on F. H. Burnett's works ~ or is there any?

I cannot remember now why at all I decided to read and watch 'The Little Princess' - the original book and western movies this time. however, after watching only one movie I lost my interest for this work and decided that I better read other books of the same author, hoping to find some Victorian style in them
yes, I did find. 'Emily Fox-Seton' had incredibly adorable things depicted and described, the characters were charming despite the fact none of them was 'close' to me and I was never too absorbed with the plot. however, the rooms of lodgings, gardens surrounding palaces, parties with exquisite tableware, wild nature in the countryside, everyday trifles were enough for me to enjoy reading a lot
of course I sympathized with Emily, but apart from her, the first half of the book I was particularly interested in Agatha's fate, and when her story ended happily I switched my attention to Hester. needless to say, both stories were disappointing. as soon as Agatha's happiness appeared on the horizon the author ceded to mention any serious details about her, and Hester, as well as Emily herself, were just abruptly ended by Mrs Burnett. that was just... completely not what I expected and wanted to read
the other stories I read are short - and I am happy they are. 'The Dawn' was just full of some unnecessary lecturing and religious preaching I couldn't make any sense of. the woman said there was no death! she had pure spirit! let's forget about what she believed in and what she said.  in reality she was drunk heavily and got under a cart and died leaving her child alone. erm... well, whom I could respect are people less 'enlightened' but more caring
'Surly Tim' and 'Le Monsieur' are just short biographies, or so I would say. they just tell you how hard one's life may be... and nothing else. they are too short to convey what was really inside the souls of the characters, but too long-winded to be count as 'slice-of-life' pieces (I mean one slice, not a number of them)
after reading these 4 I decided to stop. probably there are more good stories among what Mrs Burnett wrote, but I am not in any disposition to search for them in the hundreds of her works

No comments:

Post a Comment