28 October 2012

my humble opinion on heidi.

heidi. is a very special band to me. I spent 2 or 3 weeks constantly listening to them when in Osaka - while dressing up and putting on makeup in the morning, while going to school, while having a walk in the streets, while shopping somewhere, while sitting in a train, while going anywhere else. I listened to their songs again in winter when I suddenly felt I missed their sound. I listened to them again this summer, exactly a year since I discovered them - which a very strange thing for me, as I usually avoid listening to the same artist during the same time of the year. I listened to them again in September when they released a new album. then I reviewed my heidi. playlist and added several songs both from the new album and from the ones I already knew, making it almost twice longer (25 songs versus 13), and being really surprised at how I failed to appreciate several their earlier songs considering them too plain
and I don't get bored with them. there were cases when I listened to a playlist created some time ago and just clicked 'next' and 'next', never listening any song to the end. sometimes I dropped an old playlist in the middle, or listened to only 1 song I wanted. heidi. is different. I return to them again and again. and probably will do this for a while
after I liked heidi. so much, I thought I might study their genre affiliation and search for similar artists. I  downloaded nagoya kei. I tried recommendations of jpopsuki system, last.fm and musicwn.com. I found only 1 band who released only several songs which have the sound relatively comparable to heidi.'s throughout all their discography. what the only conclusion I might draw from this fact? heidi. has its unique style which genre determines only partially
therefore, I see no meaning in describing every song like I did previously. this is what I put into my playlist
  • hakuchuumu
  • CLOVER
  • hakana hana
  • Fly
  • Shinda sekai
  • Last Piece
  • Sentimental
  • Natsu Ichizu
  • synchro
  • meiteki
  • mirai no hate
  • Heaven
  • KODAMA
  • mugen loop
  • =
  • Sora no Tenjouga
  • Kodou
  • Gekkou Showtime
  • Chaser
  • SIXTH SENSE
  • twilight town
  • another fish
  • landscape
  • kumorizora ni wa renmoyou
  • kanata
I would divide all the songs I like into 3 groups. the first one includes those songs that make people describe heidi. as nagoya kei - dark ones, with dark melody and lyrics, such as 'shinda sekai', 'kodou' or 'mirai no hate' - the former even has the theme in its title. in the second group I would put their very opposite - there aren't a lot of them, light songs, calmer than the usual ones, even tender, I daresay. they are 'sora no tenjouga' and 'kumorizora...', and also 'ao no sekai' which isn't among my favourites, though. and the last group are those I love most, those that strike my mind and make me unable to stand still. what is really unusual, most bands start as inexperienced indies of bad quality and I usually skip their first albums, but with time they polish their style and skills and become really memorable and unique. this happened, for example, with 'Art-School'. heidi.'s start was much better. 'hakuchuumu' is from their second single, 'tis the 4th song they released, but 'tis the song that I love most and no later song of theirs can beat it, there only are some that equal. I would underline 'Last Piece', 'Heaven', and 'another fish' 
probably 'twould make some sense to make a special list of pieces that don't belong to the groups described, such as 'hakana hana', '=' - an interesting instrumental, and 'twilight town', which are very, very stylish

conclusion
I love them... I wonder if I this feeling will change?

No comments:

Post a Comment