21 November 2013

'Sore de mo machi wa...' ~ not all yoghurts are equally good

I always say to myself: take a breath and count to ten. In other words, watch at least a couple of episodes before deciding whether to drop. Maybe the initial part is not the best in the series, maybe there will be some improvement, or maybe it's the case when the last episode justifies it all...

story and characters
Shimbo Akiyuki is good... when you see his work for the first time. He seems stylish when you watch other works of his. And then - BAM! - you see a work where his style looks completely odd and does not fit. And you think - how could I appreciate it so much?
This is what it looks like - 'filming' a pot where the characters are reflected instead of the characters themselves,
or traffic lights and beautiful sky which are supposed to create a special atmosphere obviously,
meaningless phrases of an unrelated to the story raccoon in the place which divides the episode in two for the sake of inserting TV ads,
 and 'stop-frames' showing how blue the sky was at that very important moment,
which is all very good but so extremely far-fetched and inaccessible to my simple mind.
Well, every girl has a right to be what she is, even if she only can talk nonsense and drivel about.
No, she does not.
Well, sometimes I kinda laughed at that.
Or at some moments that only a certain group of fans could understand
the original phrase: 宝塚ごっこかしら?
But sometimes I did not.
 Well that's probably because you're wearing shorts during times that are faraway from summer
However, the main reason would be, to be honest, the fact that the heroine was one of those who...
and the other characters just weren't attractive enough. Except for the granny-main, probably.

voice acting
Except for the granny-maid, because she was voiced by Sakurai Takahiro, and that WAS funny.

However, the rest of seiyuus were a sad sight sound? to look at listen to. Why does it often happen that you find something you like and then it turns out the author/creator/performer etc. is no longer active... I am speaking about Yazawa Rieka who quit her job as a voice actress. Her voicing of a boyish girl was just wonderful and one-of-a-kind.
On the contrary, listening to the main character by Omigawa Chiaki was a torture. If there were a prize for the most unattractive voice I'd give it to her.
My dear, this is a phrase I want to say back to you.

music
The OPEDs were bright and original, but I didn't really notice the background very much. In other words, nothing to listen to after you've finished watching.

graphics
has always been good in Shimbo's works, and I have nothing to complain because there are smooth lines and vivid colours, moreover used wisely to create exactly that impression that the director wanted, from what I can understand from watching the anime. However, it didn't manage to make up for the other aspects that I disliked.

subtitles
were just a bit leaving much to be desired. leaving just a bit to be desired? ohhh.
because active and passive voice should not [be] confused. right?
conclusion
you know, I did my best to count to ten. Better to say - twelve, since there are 12 episodes. However, there is a good way to decide whether an anime was worth watching or not. Would you want your memory to be erased so that you could watch it again as if anew? Considering 'Sore de mo...', I know I wouldn't. I have no urge to watch further, no 'aftertaste', no impression. And even though I still respect mr. Shimbo, not all yoghurts are equally good works directed by him deserve high praise

No comments:

Post a Comment