25 January 2012

interesting links again, and my humble opinion - Iwasaki Yoshimi

while listening to her early songs I could feel the same lightness and sweetness of the music of the 70s and early 80s. that seemed to be a disadvantage to me at first, but the next day I thought it might prove to be a good point if used for other purposes - as a background for reading, for example. I gave it a try and I was very happy to have done that. excellent accompaniment!
the thing which puzzled me was the song called 'graduation photo' - I was constantly aware of the fact I had already heard it somewhere. searching for a file named 'sotsugyou shashin' with Google Desktop led to nothing, searching the same phrase in the web only revealed that only a lazy Japanese singer did not produce a song with such a name. therefore, I had to 'strain my brain' and try to recall the song itself one more time. this attempt proved to be successful and finally I found the source of my problem - the song by Yumi Matsutoya, of the same name. the reason why Google Desktop did not help me consisted in the fact the file was named in Japanese, not in Romaji. needless to say, I was quite happy after my unpleasant puzzlement was gone
in general, Hiromi is the type of singers who mature with time, and whose early songs savour of the first steps in the music world and constant searching for the perfect style, thus being unable to distinguish what is really worth singing and what would better be refused. the later albums of hers are much better, a little more serious and sophisticated, or how shall I call it...
the truth is, the same was with Yamaguchi-san, as the first albums of hers I literally skipped, and started somewhere from the middle of her discography
and the later ones sound differently so that I hardly recognize the same singer in them
therefore, I cannot say I love Hiromi's work wholeheartedly, but I would certainly recommend her songs to lovers of this kind of retro, that is - 70s and 80s

No comments:

Post a Comment