22 July 2012

translation. an article centered on Ryuu-sama in light of coming RomiJuri

my personal recommendation - if you have/want to do something requiring a considerable amount of efforts and energy so that it makes you too lazy and too cunning, I mean, you busy yourself with anything but THAT, there is one option how to make yourself finally finish THAT. you should put yourself into circumstances when you have nothing else to occupy yourself with, but to do THAT
in my case 'twas visiting my Grandparents in small urban village where even talking on the phone is expensive - as 'tis another subject of the federation, to say nothing of web-surfing. so I hoped I would translate and translate and translate - all the free time which was in abundance, because the free time was when I was not eating/sleeping/gathering berries in our 'dacha'
my hopes were in vain. the bunch of articles I took with me still lies untouched. I only managed to translate two articles and started the 3rd one. well partially responsible for that are my Granddad and Granny who took away the table from the living room, so that I had nothing to write upon except for the kitchen table which was not available any time of the day. however, I myself was not too eager, as well. this time I felt again how much satisfaction I feel when finishing one more article, and I vowed again that I would not waste any more time when I come home. I have been giving promises like this to myself dozens of times, you know. will I keep it now?

original article
New moon troupe Top Star Ryuu Masaki - an exceptional first performance of the new top with switching roles
The new Top Star of Moon Troupe, Ryuu Masaki, is to perform in the musical 'Romeo and Juliet'. This will be an exceptional start, as the main role of Romeo and the villain role of Tybalt will be switching roles for Ryuu and the demi-Top Star Asumi Rio. We asked Ryuu about her feelings before the first performance which is to take place in the Grand Theatre on June 22nd.
Ryuu was born in Higashiosaka and debuted in 2001. She moved smoothly through these years and after the previous Top, Kiriya Hiromu, retired, she was promoted. She is the first actress enrolled in the XXI century to become a top. 'I am genuinely glad. I am a leading male role player in the Moon Troupe I was born and grew up in, so I am emotionally supported by all my comrades. This is the best thing.' - she says.
a paragraph with trivia omitted
Attractive two roles
'I think two roles is an attractive thing. With every day I realize how interesting it is.' - Ryuu says. 'In this performance, you know, the feeling you have after watching it and the feeling you have when you are actually playing in it are different. I thought Romeo is, like, a beautiful dreamer, but I cannot be satisfied only with that. He is stubborn with his own ways, and he is somewhat of a naughty and capricious child with a bit of a wilderness. It will be interesting to see how he changes after he meets Juliet. Unlike him, Tybalt is a role of a hard and violent lover. He is a character I would hardly play as a Top, so there is a feedback. Our characteristics with Asumi are originally different. We both feel the same love in the place of our characters and thus create our roles.' - she explained vigorously.
Considering her partner Manaki Reika she shared her impression - 'Chapi (Manaki's pet name) is cute like a puppy. She is of the youngest underclassmen (enrolled in 2009), so I feel I should bring her up and look after her. I want to see how a puppy grows into a lady, into a woman. A Combi is when two become one, so I want us to be all lovey-dovey.'
Self-awareness as a Top is gradual
About realizing her position as a Top Ryuu said - 'As my words are being listened to attentively, I can feel the self-awareness of my position gradually coming, but I have not realized it fully.' Considering her hopes about leading the new Moon Troupe she said - 'I want  become someone like a team-leader, not someone who sits on a high throne. To the merits of performances in a group with solidarity which existed in the times of ms Kiriya, I want to add the variety of everybody's individualities, and run together with everyone. I want to create a troupe which shows with all it's surface how youthful, energetic and powerful it is.'
Ryuu, having a strong concern about growing, having a strong motivation to perform on the stage since her underclassman times. What kind of passionate Romeo will she show us, will she make Tybalt a big role, these are the things to look forward to.
_____
remarks
  1. what did she mean by 手答え? I wonder. I tried many dictionaries including Jap-Rus, Jap-Eng and Jap-Jap ones, but all I get is 'reaction', 'result', 'response', 'resistance' or 'feedback'. in the end, I simply put the words without proper understanding of what I have translated...
  2. actually I didn't know the word 愛称 (aishou), but I guessed it should mean something like 'nickname' or 'affectionate diminutive'. the Russian translation is also close to what the kanji actually mean - 'love' and 'call/name'. however I checked the jisho.org dictionary and saw another variant - 'pet name'. one could not wish for a more suitable place to use this phrase - the very sentence where Manaki-sama is compared to a puppy
  3. Ryuu-sama always gave a feeling of an outwardly restrained person to me. I remember her in the Tokyo Eye issue about Takarazuka where she showed an example of the Takarazuka perfection - polite, smiling but discreet, elegant in her looks and her manner of speaking, multiplied by her low calm velvet-like voice. however, the more I see programmes with her and read her interviews etc., the more I understand she's not the 'cool' type. her 'Romio tte utsukushii doriima tte kanji ga shita keredo' instead of 'Romio to iu yaku wa utsukushii doriima no you na kanji ga shimashita ga' or something like this, her 'yancha' and constant ending her sentences with 'ne', these words were actually the biggest gift that I got from this article
  4. and her attitude towards Manaki-sama... the difference between their age is considerable, and the difference in experience is even more scaring, but it seems, their relationship is establishing in a good way. I hope they won't be too 'rabu-rabu', and I hope their types will not be that of the 'elder brother' and 'younger sister'. if they really become one like Ryuu-sama said, this will be the best thing I could ever wish for, considering my Moon Troupe

No comments:

Post a Comment