22 July 2012

translation! an article about RomiJuri in Japan

original article - by some 'veteran journalist' of Sankei News ^.^
For some reason, there is a 'Romeo and Juliet' boom. Following the Takarazuka version, the original French version is to be performed in Japan for the first time.
On June 22nd the Moon Troupe 'Romeo and Juliet' is to begin in Takarazuka Grand Theatre. The Takarazuka version of the world-wide hit created in France was first performed in Japan in 2010 by Star Troupe. Then it was performed last year by Snow Troupe, and will be revived by Moon Troupe this time. Apart from Takarazuka, I also read about the original Japanese version with mixed cast. Finally, the original French version is to be performed in Tokyo and Osaka this autumn, for the first time in Japan. In light of this, the composer and lyricist Gerard Presgurvic and the main cast came to Japan. With the Moon Troupe Top Combi, Ryuu Masaki and Manaki Reika, also participating, a PR event was held.
The famous work about tragic love that shines even nowadays
a paragraph with trivia omitted
In Japan the performances also follow one another
Two years ago the version directed by Koike Shuuichirou was a big hit, and the original French version is to be performed in Japan for the first time. Together with Presgurvic himself, four cast members also came to Japan to participate in a PR event titled 'Romeo and Juliet ~ children of Verona' - Niccolai Cyril who plays Romeo, Esther Joy who plays Juliet, Neville Stephan who plays Benvolio and Eyzen John who plays Mercutio. As special guests, Shirota Yuu from the original Japanese cast attended the event in Tokyo, and the Top Combi of Takarazuka Revue Moon Troupe consisting of Ryuu and Manaki - in Osaka.
In his address Presgurvic said - 'The reason why this musical became a big hit is that the story itself is simple and brilliant. Taking it as a basis I created a performance to make the audience think to themselves whether they could die for the sake of love. I would be happy if the French version would be loved the same as the Japanese one.' As far as I know, he visits Japan for the fourth time and during his previous visit in March last year he faced the great earthquake catastrophe. 'It was my first experience of that kind, and I was very frightened, but at the sane time I could feel keenly that the Japanese are very diligent and hard-working people. I pray for them.'
Nicolai was playing Benvolio during the Asia tour, and playing Romeo in Japan will be the first time for him. 'I am looking forward to seeing what kind of Romeo I will become. In this performance singing is crucial, and I am able to play my character with proper, perfect singing' - he shows his confidence. Esther was selected to play Juliet during the Asia tour and she has played Juliet in Paris 40 times. She expressed her happiness - 'It was Niccolai who told me about the audition for this performance. That's why I am very glad to form a combi with him.' Eyzen also has a rich experience of playing Mercutio - 'I enjoy playing madness', but Neville will play Benvolio in Japan for the first time - 'I think he is a person who lives his life to the fullest', after saying some greetings with a smattering of Japanese they shared their impressions.
Ryuu, who saw the powerful performance of the French cast, said  - 'I was deeply moved. Now I want to play Romeo cherishing his dreamer part, but integrating into it an element of his energetic rushing guided by his instinct.' Manaki vowed vigorously - 'When I heard everyone's singing I felt the emotions conveyed with the music. I will do my best, too.'
For some reason, there is a 'Romeo and Juliet' boom now in Japan. The straight play with Satou Ken and Ishihara Satomi has just finished in Tokyo and Osaka. The Takarazuka Moon Troupe performance will last till the 23rd of July in Takarazuka Grand Theatre and then will take place in Tokyo Takarazuka Theatre from the 10th of August till the 9th of September. The French version will be shown in Tokyo in TOKYU THEATRE Orb from the 10th till the 21st of October and then in Osaka in Umeda Arts Theatre Main Hall from the 26th of October till the 4th of November. The boom still seems to be burning for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment