23 January 2013

impressions of using Chrome

strange 'tis but I have never used Chrome properly. having no interest in it after Firefox suddenly improved it efficiency I spent all my time with Red Panda <3
today I, just suddenly, decided to give Chrome a try. so what?
good points first
  • did not even need download statusbar because the downloads are made that way default
  • fast. really fast. even GIF images change their frames faster. well sometimes I even doubt that is a good point...?
  • pretty convenient for me as Google user due to different kinds of synching
bad points
  • not cute. themes exist but lack diversity which I found really attracting in Firefox
  • my head constantly turned to the left. since I have a 1920x1200 screen everything tends to slide to the left. greatly inconvenient and meaningless. well Firefox was, too, until I moved the tabs to the left side instead of default top, but even the inconvenient Firefox design was more pleasant
  • no panels and toolbars in the top? you are kiddin'. I do need search toolbar and I do need to move buttons lower from where they are - the same line where the address bar is
  • instead of the Download panel in the bottom which I installed as an extension for Firefox, Chrome has a similar thing as a default. very convenient. however, it only shows how much is downloaded in MB and how much time is left. I really need it to show the speed, too. and I would be happy if it showed not MB size, but percentage
  • technically speaking, Chrome was created out of the Google toolbar, was it not? I still use it in Firefox, as I said above. first of all, I need different types of search, such as search for pictures, search within the current website, picasa, gmail, etc. I also cannot live without the Translator. the current version in Chrome only enables to translate the whole page, while the Firefox Toolbar is able to create someting close to 'popup' translation of the word that the cursor is pointing at, or a phrase which is currently highlighted
  • as far as I know, Firefox only loads a tab when 'tis viewed. I guess 'tis due to this fact that Firefox is so economical? it only taked ~300 MB of RAM, while Chrome opens a dozen of processes which in total take up to 1 GB. hey?
conclusion
lack of opportunities for customisation. yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment