29 July 2015

Miu Sakamoto and Miki Nakatani ~ a special kind of disappoinment

I don't know how I found Miu, I think I was just browsing randomly and then I stumbled upon her. Then I saw that the person who wrote the artist description said that her voice is similar to that of Miki. So I downloaded both and this is all I can say: boring.

the song that attracted me most - 'awakening'
which turned out to be an almost exact copy of Miki's 'Frontier'. Better to say, 'All this time'.
And Miu's 'Other side of love' is the same as Miki's 'Suna no Kajitsu'.
By the way, I don't quite think their voices are that similar. If I were asked to compare them to someone, I'd remember Mai Fujisawa. I wonder why does it happen that they both were born to famous musicians... Is it something transmitted genealogically?
Speaking of the voice, Miu's one is a real gem. I can totally see why so many people love her music. She has that transparent, ethereal voice that is actually hard to find among Japanese female singers. Miki's voice is closer to the typical cutie-honey, but it's still very specific.
That said, I must first of all admit that I fell in love with both of them. Miu's voice was like a fresh breeze among all those cute girls that look and sound the same. Miki's voice was very tender and warm.
And here comes the main thing. Even though I have been searching for so long for singers with such clear unusual voices, their songs failed completely to impress me. They were all very cute and tender, but so uninspiring.
Miu was doing many covers. After hearing the originals, I, however, lost my interest to them.
a song that sounds much better performed by the original band - 'Opus and Mayverse'
The only cover I liked was 'Fields of gold'
If I had to recommend something, I'd remember '15fun'. However, the first time it was interesting, the second it was so-so, the third time it was nothing and the fourth it was annoying. The same goes for most songs that I intended to include into my playlist initially - 'THE NEVER ENDING STORY', 'Swan Dive' and others.
Miu's next albums were more experimental and inclined towards synthetic sound. Which is all absolutely ok if not for the fact those songs did not last long, too. In fact, I was bored with them even earlier than others: 'Phantom Girls First Love', 'Precious', 'Anata to Watashi no Aida ni Aru Mono Subete Ai to Yobu'.
the songs that still capture my heart after listening to them for 5 times: 'More Speed, More Light.', 'Dance dance dance' and 'I'm yours'.
Just FYI, 5 times is nothing, with a complete collection of more than 100 songs it would take me 3 days to listen to the whole discography several times and pick up what I like.
Actually I'm pissed off with this music video. For me this song is serious and it does not look good with some muppet show going on below.
two songs that made an opposite impression on me - 'odayaka na kurashi' and 'itoshii hito'
On one hand, both describe the wish of the persona to lead calm, normal life with the one she loves. On the other hand, the first song makes me want to throw out with its plainness, while the second is very touching and gives a good kick to imagination. After thinking over for a while I came to the conclusion that the melody is the trick here. I guess if the former song had a different, less annoying melody, I'd be delighted with it.
The last album is just good-for-nothing. If earlier albums at least contained a few songs to choose from, the only decent song in 'Waving flags' is 'HIRUNO HOSHI'. By saying that I'm not saying I liked it very much. I got bored with it soon, too. The whole album gives an impression like it was created as a collection of background music for some slice-of-life movie or anime about schoolgirls.
And Miki? Oh, there was not a single song that I would like to listen again.

conclusion
Summing it up, I guess I have to admit that such singers are for those who... like such singers. I never forget that tastes differ. As for quality, both Miu and Miki offer such music that it's hard to find any flaws in it. But for me, this music lacks inspiration. And it's such a waste because the voices were exactly what I wanted to find so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment