13 March 2016

IMHO. 'Dancing on the edge' ~ realistic realism

This is what happens when you open an article called '18 TV serials you won't be able to drop'.

story and characters
I don't know, maybe it's the case when for some reason I feel I can associate myself with a character - that's what happened with Sarah. She was my favourite from the beginning to the end. But suddenly some of those whom I didn't like at all turn out into helpful, loyal friends, and some of those who seemed nothing special change everything, some turn out to be wiser than you'd think, or less wise than you thought, but one thing that never changes with those British series - everybody has his own reasons that are so solid you can't hate them even when they behave the opposite of being any knights without fear and reproach.

the visual side
Suddenly I realised, when my Mom asked me if thirties is my favourite period in history, that they are really not. It doesn't prevent me, however, from falling in love with how this serial is done from the point of view of its visual design - beautifully, artistically, vividly. It's not exactly the time I love most, but certainly it's the time that deserves being depicted with such love and in such detail.

music
is something I don't have anything to say about, really. This show was not only for the story, nor was it only for the looks, but for music, too. And even though after episode 3 we did not hear much of the orchestra's performances, there was enough played and sung to make me respect jazz musicians even more, though jazz will never ever become my favourite genre either.

acting
It would take too much space to praise everyone who acted in the serial, but I couldn't find a single actor who was out of place or unnatural in those interiors, in those costumes and inside of that music.
I'll just say this: Wunmi Mosaku was extremely cute when she was acting shyness of her heroine, and Tom Hughes was so impressive that though I usually don't understand such characters, I started to feel like I do, just a little. And Janet Montgomery and Joanna Vanderham both made me grow to like their respective heroines.

conclusion
After I've praised the show so much one would think I'd give it 10 stars, but I have to say thing in the conclusion: 'Dancing on the edge' is very interesting, yes, extremely educational, too, and extremely well done, but it just doesn't leave a particular trace in your heart, because it is, first, too short, and second, not too smooth in terms of story-telling. Some places were too sharp and abrupt, and even though there couldn't be anything more said or described, leave the sense like they lacked depth.

p. s.
and I do have to admit that the story is so very realistic (and sad...) that after watching I felt like I read a book by one of the writers who were active in 30s.

No comments:

Post a Comment